Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Weaned
Henry is officially weaned. The last time I nursed him was a week ago today. I still can't quite believe it. I mean, I've been nursing this little guy several times a day for 19 1/2 months! The process started 5 weeks ago when I cut out daytime nursings. That was the hardest for him. Then two weeks later I stopped nursing him in the morning. No problem for Henry since he got to go downstairs for breakfast, but a challenge for me since I actually had to get up instead of bringing him back to bed with me. Then instead of waiting two weeks more to cut out the bedtime feedings, I decided to go ahead and start just one week later. Gretchen had put Henry to bed the night before so I felt like that was a good transition for me to stop nursing him. I was prepared for some crying, but he never even asked to nurse!!! I could NOT believe it!!! I mean, did he just forget about his bedtime ritual for the past 596 days? Then the next night he made the sign for milk and I said "No, but we can read some books," and that was all it took to divert him. So now it's been a week and it turned out that last Friday was my last time to nurse him and I didn't even realize it at the time. I'm mostly glad that phase is over, but I miss it, too. Nothing's quite as sweet has holding a nursing baby, er, toddler in your arms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment