Yesterday we started Henry on solids! His pediatrician told us we should start him between 4 and 6 months. I put it off for a month, but decided that yesterday it was time to take the plunge. I mixed up some brown rice cereal flakes with breast milk (you wouldn't have known it was anything but milk by looking at it) and Jody and I took turns trying to feed it to him. He was very receptive to the spoon and grabbed on to it, but didn't quite know what to do with the cereal once it was in his mouth. Most of it ended up coming back out onto his bib and I'm not sure he actually swallowed any. Maybe he'll get the hang of it by the end of the week and then I can add something more interesting like bananas or sweet potatoes. Today I fed him a few drops at a time while he was reclined in my lap and he seemed to be able to keep more of it down that way. And on top of all this, I discovered this morning that he's cutting his first tooth!!! I felt his gums and his lower left middle tooth is coming in! I can actually see a little white showing through! No wonder he's been a little more cranky the past few days. Poor baby! I'm going to put some wet washcloths in the freezer for him to suck on tomorrow - I've heard that helps numb the pain.
I'm ready and waiting!
Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this, Mommy.

But I'm willing to try!

Gimme that spoon!

Enough of this cereal business. Somebody get me a boob.

Here I am getting all clean!

1 comment:
Another thing that can help is putting a bottle nipple or a binky in the freezer, just until it gets cold but is still soft enough for him to chew on. Bailey never liked anything cold in her mouth, though. Good luck!
Post a Comment